Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Apple Hill adventures


Paul and I played hookie from work one day not too long ago and decided to relive a childhood memory of mine. Mom used to take Melissa and me up to Apple Hill in the fall to enjoy Abel's apple cider, apple pie, autumn foliage, and a road trip (the Simmons girls liked road trips). So Paul and I packed up the VW and headed east for a day among the apple trees. We ate pie and pulled pork sandwiches, and we picked our own apples in a sprawling orchard run by a sweet German family.

We also thought it might be cool to run amok in the pumpkin patches up there and buy a pumpkin or two for the Halloween and Thanksgiving holidays ahead. So we grabbed a wheel barrow and some clippers and set out to find our pumpkins. We wound up adopting 10 or so little squashes that we planned to give to family and friends. When we got home, Paul baked a couple of the youngest ones and turned them into one of the greatest pumpkin pies I've ever devoured. I'm so lucky to have married an adventurous man who cooks...adventurously!
It was a good day!

No comments: