
Well, my little car and I hit a milestone the other day...100,000 miles together! We found one another in Stockton in June of 2003, after I lost my '89 Crown Victoria (was with her, too, when she turned 100,000 miles!) to the negligence of a UCD vet student with no back-up lights and even fewer driving skills. Old Contessa (yes, I've named all of my cars) has been a constant and faithful companion. We've traveled well together...from Washington to Fresno, the west coast to Lake Tahoe. She's needed very little maintenance (knock on wood!!!) and has saved my bum on multiple occasions, thanks to her awesome handling. I've moved an entire apartment three times in her little hatch-back trunk. She was the car that carried me to the bar where I met my Paul for the very first time. Then, two and a half years later, she was the fun wagon that shuttled the newlyweds to Monterey for their honeymoon! We've been through thick and thin...she's been hit at 65 mph on the freeway and smashed by a horse trailer (again, by a stinkin' UCD vet student)...
OUCH!
She's been a great car! An old friend razzed me and said that Tessa would never last. (The naysayer no longer owns their Toyota...what now?!). I don't care what people say, the Japanese DO NOT make a better engine than the Germans. I know that I am a VW fan for life. I grew up hearing stories of my parents' adventures in my Mom's old '68 bug, and now Paul and I have tales we can tell our little ones. I know Miss Tessa's got a lot of life left in her, but I know one day we will have to part ways. Hopefully, it's well after our kids have learned to drive a manual transmission and after I can post another blog at her 200,000th mile. When that final ride comes, I know that I'll be faced with a truly difficult decision (and hopefully a greater income)...
VW or Audi??!
The proof...
No comments:
Post a Comment