Ever since our marriage preparation course, I have loved this prayer. In its muscial form, it was sung at our wedding celebration and it remains a constant source of encouragement, prayer, and peace for me. It so very eloquently puts my desires and intentions into words, and I have yet to find a poem or writing that has equally done so.
I hope that you enjoy...
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.Where there is hatred, let me sow love.Where there is injury, pardon.Where there is doubt, faith.Where there is despair, hope.Where there is darkness, light.Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
- Amen.
3 comments:
Keira, thank you so much for posting this. I am at odds with my brother and this is really what I needed to hear. Once I again, I just think the world of you!
Oh, Sarah, you are so kind! I'm sorry that things between you and your brother are amiss; that's a horrible feeling. I will keep you both in my prayers, and I hope that a resolution is come to, amicable to both parties. I'm glad that you liked the prayer. It really helps me keep things in perspective, in a world where perspective often gets very, very muddled. Much love to you and your beautiful family, my dear!
Thanks Keira! I must have re-read it 10 times last night and let it's meaning just filter over my troubled heart. I had felt totally justified in my anger. But reading the prayer helped me realize that even if it was completely justified, anger doesn't help anyone. Not me or my brother.
Post a Comment