I know that I've said it before, but I really am married to one of the greatest men in the world! He treats me with so much kindness, so much respect, and goes above and beyond to try and make me realize how very loved I am.In previous years, Paul has presented me with some very creative, well-thought-out Valentine's Day surprises. The most memorable, thus far, was a poem that he wrote and framed for me. It hangs on our bedroom wall and stands as the most meaningful gift I have ever been given. And, every year, Paul also takes me out to see the newest girl-y, romantic movie in the theaters.
Flowers are not usually part of his repertoire. I think I told Paul, years ago, that (because of previous experience) flowers were given when someone screwed up, broke a promise, or were otherwise attempting to make-up for a deficit. As a result, I've never really wanted flowers or felt an absence when they weren't given. Paul has a very good memory and did remember that, despite the previous viewpoint, I had always wanted to be surprised with flowers sent to my work. So, given that the day after Valentine's Day was my last day of work, he arranged (four weeks ahead of time!!!) to have a Valentine's Day bouquet sent to my work on the day-o-cupid!
I was busy training my fellow coworkers when the beautiful flowers arrived. Paul knows me so well! He included two Calla lilies (my favorite) and snapdragons (my second favorite). He included one red rose, symbolic of the single red rose he gave me during our Catholic Engaged Encounter retreat. Little white daisies were thrown in because I told him that I loved that my mom had daisies in her wedding bouquet. And he asked the ladies at the flower store to fill-in the rest with pink and purple, my favorite flower color scheme. Boy, that boy is thoughtful!
When I got home that night, in keeping with our most wonderful tradition, Paul gathered us up and took me to see 27 Dresses, the new Catherine Heigl movie. Oh, so girl-y!!! We had a dinner of popcorn and coke (mmm!) and had a wonderful time!
I hope that you all were able to spend the day with those that you love, doing the things that you enjoy most. I never understood why people had a hard time with Valentine's Day. In it's purest form, when you strip away the obligations and flowers and candy, it's a day in celebration of love. It doesn't have to be the love of a partner...it's the love of a daughter, a friend, a sister, or a neighbor.
Love really is all around us!
No comments:
Post a Comment