Thursday, July 3, 2008

When is it a weed?

Weed -noun
1.a valueless plant growing wild, esp. one that grows on cultivated ground to the exclusion or injury of the desired crop.

I'm not exactly sure that I agree with that definition. I find many things have "grown upon" or horded in on those things that I've cultivated. Despite how the dictionary may define them or how I may initially view the changes in plan, many "weeds" have brought great beauty and purpose to my "crop."

Paul and I found this one in our backyard the other day. The blooms only last about 24 hours, but they are sweet and they make us smile. We've both been a bit too busy and wrapped in life to do much beautification around the house lately, so Mother Nature stepped in and did a little for us.

The simple stuff is best, don't you think?

2 comments:

Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

If that pretty picture is of a weed, then I want weeds in my yard! Actually, we are in an apartment right now, but I long for the day when I can plant pretty flowers in my yard and watch them grow! Awesome picutre by the way - props to you or Paul, whoever took it! :)

Mrs. D said...

Thanks, Kristen! We'll be leaving our house soon and joining you in the apartment world. We'll fill pots with flowers together!!!